Time Is Running Out. The deadline is March 31st.
Scott Walker, Ron Johnson, Tammy Baldwin, Mike Gallagher, Andre Jacque, Glenn Grothman, Frank Lasee, Joel Kitchens, Paul Tittl and almost all lakeshore politicians are supporting the violation of the sovereignty of the state of Wisconsin by advocating turning 1,000+ SQUARE MILES of Lake Michigan into a federal marine sanctuary. Details of the proposal can be found by clicking <here>
<Click here> to go to the government web site to enter your comments.
A reasoned summary of why you oppose the sanctuary is best, but a simple "I strongly oppose designation of the creation of a Lake Michigan marine sanctuary" is better than nothing.
Anonymous comments can be made by entering "N/A" in the required fields.
Read prior comments by clicking <Here>
“Bad laws are the worst form of tyranny.” Edmund Burke
There are many reasons to object to the sanctuary:
- The governor (likely exceeding his authority) requested sanctuary status without consulting the legislature (and without the legislature voting on the proposal) and without a state referendum.
- Regulations for existing sanctuaries are over 200 pages long. Like any governmental program, the regulations, prohibitions, and fines will do nothing but grow over time.
- The proposal (likely illegally) transfers almost exclusive control of the sanctuary to the federal government, violating state sovereignty. All decisions will be made in Washington rather than locally. Lobbyists of all stripes will have more say over the sanctuary than you will.
- Regulations for existing sanctuaries essentially preclude all economic development of the lake forever: hydrocarbon and mineral exploration and extraction are prohibited. Discharges of any kind into the lake are prohibited.
- Drilling into, dredging, or otherwise altering the submerged lands is prohibited: no new communications cables, pipelines, etc.
- The long term impact to commercial shipping will be devastating, especially if anchoring and dredging are prohibited.
- Like all governmental programs, the expected revenue will be overstated and the costs and negative impact understated.
- Sanctuary designation is forever! This ill advised proposal, if implemented, will never be undone. The lake will be "frozen" in time, for all time.
- Sanctuary status is NOT needed to protect shipwrecks in Lake Michigan. State laws can (and do) protect them.